Diet Tips — December 6, 2010 6:00 — 0 Comments
A Healthy Diet Plan – healht and Marriage
h4>How do you plan to lose weight?
Losing weight, gaining weight or maintaining a healthy weightcan be a difficult task. However, if you learn to eat healthyand exercise regularly, and you train your body to accept that -instead of a daily task, it can become a “way of life.”
Here is a simple 5 step plan that can help you learn how tolive a healthier life:
- Get into a Healthy EatingMindset:
If you are going to lose weight or gain weight you must believethat you can do it. If you are discouraged, you will not be ableto do it. you must think, I CAN LOSE WEIGHT. I WILL LOSE WEIGHT.I WILL GET HEALTHY STARTING RIGHT NOW!
This may seem a little over the top – but it’s not. you need toget yourself into a healthy mindset. you need to give yourselfpositive reinforcement and pump yourself up.
you may need some help to get into a healthy mindset. It is nota weakness to admit that you need help. in order to be a healthyperson, you have to admit that sometimes you just can’t do it byyourself. you may need the help of a trained professional (adoctor, a dietician, a personal trainer) or simply a supportnetwork of friendly people. If you have tried to do it on yourown and have failed, then it is time to get the help that youneed – start with your family physician.
Your support network can be composed of people that areavailable for you to talk to, they should be positive people andthey should believe in YOU.
If you don’t want to count on your friends and family – you mayneed to go out and pay for a diet plan – Weight Watchers, JennyCraig, NutriSystem are a few of the programs that also provide asupport network of actual people you can talk to and findencouragement from.
- Find Motivation, Set Goals, and Reward yourself:
Motivation to lose weight or get healthier is going to becompletely up to you! Whether you are just trying to lose a fewpounds to go to your high school class reunion or you are tryingto lose fifty pounds so that you can be a healthy person andplay with your children… you need to find a motivation.
Once you have a motivation, set attainable goals. Set goalsthat you know you can achieve. in other words, don’t try to losefive pounds in one week. one or two pounds per week is a small,attainable goal.
also, plan to reward yourself when you’ve reached your goal.for instance, if your motivation is to shed ten pounds to go toyour class reunion, then reward yourself with a new outfit towear to the reunion. or, if your motivation is to lose 50 poundsso that you will feel healthier, plan one fun day going to anamusement park when you’ve reached your goal weight.
Take little steps. Motivate yourself using rewards every stepof the way. Set goals and rewards. for instance, “When I lose 5lbs, I will reward myself with a new pair of shoes.”
Set your own rewards based on what you really, really want.Follow through – don’t just say you will reward yourself andthen conveniently forget because there are more important thingsto buy or do – GO THROUGH WITH YOUR REWARD PLAN.
- Plan to Eat Healthy Foods and Healthy ServingSizes:
The US government has provided us with a healthy “food pyramid.”This plan works! So don’t be afraid to use it. It’s simple, too.If you are an adult, each day you should have the followingallotment:
- Fats, Oils and Sweets – use sparingly.
- Milk, Yogurt, Cheese – 2 to 3 servings.
- Meat, Poultry,Fish, Dry Beans, Nuts, Eggs – 2 to 3 servings.
- Vegetables -3 to 5 servings.
- Fruits – 2 to 3 servings.
- Grains,Bread, Cereal, Rice, Pasta – 6 to 11 servings.
6 to 11 servings is a wide range. The amount of servings youneed per day will be based on your daily activity and specialneeds:
a breast-feeding mother will need the highestamounts – 3 servings of milk and cheese, 3 servings of meat.
a middle aged woman who has a desk job will probably need thelower servings suggested – 6 servings of the grain/bread group,2 servings of meat.
6 servings of grains may seem like a lot of food – but – youmust be careful on the serving size. a pasta meal at arestaurant may equal 6 servings of pasta. Watching the amount offood is as important as the kinds of food. Serving sizes follow:
- milk group – - 1 cup 2%, 1 cup yogurt, 1 1/2 oz ofcheese
- meat group — 2-3 oz. of meat, 1/2 cup cooked drybeans,
- vegetable group — 1/2 cup of cooked or raw cut up, 1cup raw leafy
- fruit group — medium sized piece of fruit or1/2 cup cut up, 3/4 cup of juice
- grain group — a serving is1/2 cup of cooked pasta or rice, 1 slice of bread, 1 oz. drycereal.
Do not assume that the serving sizes on packaged products arethe same as the above. use common sense. be honest with yourselfabout serving sizes.
Here is a cool visual chart that makesfor great printing. Print it out and tack it up on yourrefrigerator! Another great motivator is tacking up a picture ofyourself on the fridge – as you are now or as you would like tobe.
- Plan to Exercise:
You don’t need to run a marathon every day in order to getexercise. There are little ways that you can get the exerciseyou need everyday. Here are some suggestions – choose at leastone of these and do it everyday or at least once a week. Iguarantee that after a couple months – if you don’t get yourexercise, you will MISS it!
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Park the farthest away spot from the store every time yougo.
- Take a 30 minute walk everyday. (This is the one that Ido – I love my walk, if I don’t get my walk, I really feel at aloss – and I am definitely NOT an exercise fanatic, but I nevermiss my walking even on vacation – and I feel GREAT because ofit.)
- Take an aerobics class or a dance class. (Do you have apartner? Take ballroom dancing! not only will you get someexercise, you will also learn a useful, fun skill.)
- Get offthe subway or bus stop one stop before where you normally getoff and walk the rest of the way home.
- Decide to take up asport like Tennis, Racquetball, or even join a Softball team.Check out your community athletic center or the YMCA for sportsthat you think you might like to participate in.
- Buy a workout video and commit to working out 20 minutes a day.
- Thereare some awesome workout programs for free on the internet.Here’s one at Drop a Dress Size inSix Weeks. (I like the free ones you can do at home,because if you’re like me, you’re a clutz and are embarrassed tobe seen doing any of those exercises in public!)
- The Right Tools:
- Support Network -
In the first part of the plan, we discussed a support network.This network may be made up of health professionals or simply agroup of family or friends that you can talk to. They arepositive people that will help you over the rough spots.
- Healthy Eating Guide -
You need to know the right balance of foods to eat. use this cool food pyramid. Thispyramid is taken from the US Government Recommended DailyAllowances. If you join any type of Diet plan, they all havetheir individual ways of keeping track of your calories ornutritional intake, however, they are all similar to the FoodPyramid.
- Nutritional Counting Device -
Make your healthy diet fun! The NutriCounter can help you keeptrack of your daily eating habits, it’s a wonderful way to getinto a routine and stay healthy. Learn more about TheNutriCounter.
- Support Network -
About the author:Come and visit the NutriCounter web site for more information onhow nutrition influences weight loss, diabetes, pregnancy, heartdisease and more! nutricounter.com
Author: Renee Kennedy